Sunday, December 20, 2020

Still a Buffoon Fifty Years Later

Rachel Maddow recently wrote a book about former Vice President, Spiro Agnew and the scandal that drove him from the vice-president's position. In interviews, she talks about how people have forgotten about Spiro Agnew. And, I am sure that is true for most people. I can't recall the last time anyone mentioned his name.

I too had forgotten him sometime in the 1980s when, shopping in Bergdorf Goodman in New York City, I walked by the door and glanced outside and saw a tall man with a short wife walking up Fifth Avenue. The words "Who is that buffoon?" ran through my mind. It took me a few minutes to figure out who he was but my initial reaction was clear. This man was a buffoon. I've heard the word used about him recently.

What did I learn from my brief encounter with Spiro Agnew? Try not to be the person that when someone catches sight of you, their response is "Who is that buffoon?" Or, any other negative word. Be the person that even if someone can't place you right away, they think "Who is that lovely individual?"

Not being convicted of tax evasion can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment