Wednesday, May 5, 2021

Riding with Bill, Gates that is

Many, many years ago, I went to the annual Microsoft conference which was probably a mismatch since I was a lot more involved with data than technology. I blush now to think about what probably went over my head even though technology was pretty simple back in the 1980s.

This is not about technology. This is about my brief encounter with Bill Gates.

I got on an elevator at the hotel where the convention was held. I did not realize that Bill Gates was in the back of the elevator car. When the elevator made its first stop, he politely made his way to the front. After he'd stepped off and the door closed behind him, a man told this story about a previous elevator ride with Bill Gates. This is his story, not mine.

As on this ride, the elevator was packed and the people who got in later did not realize that Bill was jammed into the back of the car. One of the people in the front began to bad-mouth Bill. A lot. When the elevator made its first stop, Bill made his way out. However, as he passed the man who had been bad-mouthing him, he said "excuse me" and put a light hand on the man's shoulder so he could slide by. Slide by and see the name on his badge which he appeared to memorize.

There is a lesson to be learned here. If you are the last one into an elevator, keep your mouth shut until you've checked out everyone who is riding with you. I don't imagine Bill Gates rides in a lot of crowded elevators with strangers anymore but you never know who does. Alternatively, if you can't keep quiet, at least be smart enough to take off your badge.

NOTE: I went back to the Microsoft campus once for a reason I've long forgotten. I bet the guy wearing his badge in the elevator never did.




© 2021 Jane Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment